Sharon Malcolm's Reviews > Beauty's Release

Beauty's Release by A.N. Roquelaure

May 23, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, twisted
Read from April 23 to 25, 2010

I guess, in their own way, these three books really are like a fairy tale. Completely unreal. Amidst all the every day fetishistic debauchery, torture, gang rape, buggerization and constant whippings - it's the lifestyle - there is something missing. Blood. Snot. Fecal matter. A break for menstrual cycles. It is all so very clean. I mean, even going back to the very first book, where Beauty is rudely awakened by the priapic Prince - lets face it, she's been asleep for 100 years, surely she should be lying in a pool of dried and drying menstrual blood, amongst other bodily waste matter!? And the weather. There isn't any! It's obviously a constant balmy temperature with no precipitation of any kind, which is lucky for the slaves who are naked. Permanently. I guess it would be inconvenient if any of them caught a cold, because then snot would definitely get involved. Oh yes, it's a fairy tale. It doesn't have to make sense.

In this last installment of The Sex Slave Adventures of Sleeping Beauty, Beauty is kidnapped by some passing Arabs along with a few other choice love slaves and spirited off over the sea to wallow in a whole new level of debasement and animalisation. It is interesting to note that for the first time in the entire series, the word rape is used with regularity. It's not like it didn't happen before, but it is the first time it is described as such. Of course the slaves enjoy and even crave it so it doesn't matter much to them how it is defined. Lucky for Beauty she is in a constant state of sexual agitation, everything is a turn on. Nipple clamps? No problem. Whipping? Bring it on. Dildos up every orifice, even while horseriding? No sweat.

I have to admit, this series was kind of fun and easy to read, and even somewhat titillating, but beware to those with more refined tastes, you will be shocked.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty's Release.

04/23/2010 page 90
04/25/2010 page 256
100.0% 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by S. (last edited Nov 19, 2010 09:51AM) (new)

S. Hahaha, this is a brilliant review and nice synchronicity:

I was all set to read the series when a very good friend of mine whose opninion I trust implicitly had a massive rant about these books!

She basically didn't mind so much about the smut -that's why one reads dirty books- and the unrealistic settings, but her biggest gripe was that it was all so very male-fag-haggy, if you'll forgive the phrase:

There was hardly any mention of Lesbian shenanigans, something she felt should not be overlooked in a world such as this: Surely there much be predatory and dominating women craving other women somewhere?

Ad I understood it, some eventually happens, but it seems perfunctory and shouldist and Anne Rice's heart isn't it.

Let's face, she doth froth most passionately during the descriptions of relationships of Louis/Lestat proportions...

Between my good friend and your hilarious review, I now know I can live and die without having read these...!

Brandie I love your review! I listened to the audiobook version and it was made all the more ridiculous with voice actor chosen. And some parts made me laugh/gag...the honey-covered fruit part? I also kept wondering why no one got pregnant. EVER.

Twilla LOL! I so agree about your description. Do these women ever get their period!

message 4: by iRebecca (new)

iRebecca Excellent review, Sharon. :-)