I Read's Reviews > The Problems of Philosophy

The Problems of Philosophy by Bertrand Russell

Apr 22, 10

bookshelves: philosophy
Read from March 31 to April 22, 2010

Gosh the life of a philosopher must be complicated; all that intense and intricate thinking about even the simplest of things! :) I don’t doubt many of ‘the big questions’ have been helped to be answered by this subject, but I must admit during reading this book “hair-splitting” (to use one of the author’s perfectly suited descriptions) did come to mind.

If I’m honest, the best bits for me were the first and last chapters! The in-between didn’t interest me so much, but I don’t regret reading it because it opened my mind somewhat to new ways of thinking. There were a couple of things which I would query the author on if I ever met him, but overall I found the explanations easy to accept.

One thing I definitely would give Russell points for would be the ability to convey what can be a confusing subject in a way which someone with little or no experience of Philosophy prior to reading can understand. However, at times it did seem to be a little repetitive, the clarification overdone.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Problems of Philosophy.