Tina Dalton's Reviews > How I Live Now

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

Sep 10, 10

bookshelves: dystopian, ya, award-winning, printz
Read in September, 2010

I picked this book up because it is suppose to be a dystopian...I'm not sure if I'd catagorize it as such myself. It takes place in the present. Daisy's dad is getting remarried. She and her new stepmom do not get along, so Daisy goes to live with her never-before-seen cousins in England. While there, a war begins and she is trapped in England. What makes this book excellent is the author's ability to capture Daisy's voice. The novel is written in first person, almost as if it is a journal. The sentences are long and rambling, sometimes lacking punctuation, just as a teen might authentically speak or write in a diary. The war is almost a non-issue at first. It doesn't directly affect Daisy and she is dismissive of it. Even towards the end when the war has directly impacted her, there is still no clear cut enemy, no one to accuse for the atrocities commited. This book is about finding love in unexpected places, learning to overcome challenges, and discovering what is really important in life.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How I Live Now.