Nancy's Reviews > Son of Hamas

Son of Hamas by Mosab Hassan Yousef

1956252
May 03, 10

bookshelves: middle-east, terrorism, religion-christianity, religion-islam, memoir, first-reads
Recommended for: to anyone interested in finding peaceful solutions to the world's problems
Read from April 25 to May 03, 2010 — I own a copy

Thank you Goodeads for this First Reads win!

I was very moved by Mosab Hassan Yousef’s book—an account of his spiritual journey from being raised as the son of a Muslim imam and one of the founders of Hamas, a Palestinian terrorist organization, to his introduction to Christianity that gradually transformed his personal beliefs and actions. When he reads in the New Testament, “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven.’” (Matthew 5:43-45), he is thunderstruck—it is the message he has been searching for. The more Mosab reads the Bible, the more he sees that loving and forgiving one’s enemies is the only way to stop the bloodshed. He puts Christ’s words into action as he risks his own life to save lives in the occupied territories. He gathers every scrap of information he can to help the Israeli Shin Bet (Intelligence Service) stop the blood bath. By hearing the words of Jesus Christ to love your enemies, Yousef comes to the realization that your enemy isn’t a person, but the hatred and fear inside you—Christ loved all people.

This is a fascinating read—not only did this young man’s faith renew my own spiritual beliefs, the book gives real insight into Islamic culture and its ideology. By leaving the faith in which he was raised and putting Christianity into practice, Mosab alienated his beloved father and the rest of his family. I pray that his message is received by people throughout the world who are fueled by hatred and revenge to turn their thoughts instead to love and peace. And, that his wish is fulfilled for world leaders to understand and find solutions. Mosab believes that as long as we continue to search for enemies anywhere but inside ourselves, there will always be a Middle East problem.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Son of Hamas.

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Again with the free books!? You are the luckiest person ever!
I'm seriously missing out.
Amazingly, I think I heard this author interviewed on the radio yesterday.

Nancy Thanks Jason--wish I'd heard that--was it an NPR station?

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason I think it was on the Michael Medved show. Unfortunately he doesn't podcast.
I just checked with my wife and that was definitely him. it sounds like a great story.