Mo Tipton's Reviews > The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1 by Alan Moore

Apr 02, 10

bookshelves: graphic
Read from March 31 to April 02, 2010

As much as I love the unbelievably stunning artwork, I just can't bring myself to finish this book. I realize that Moore is attempting to paint a realistic portrait of Victorian England, but the book is so damn sexist and racist that I can't read it any longer.

My friend is convinced that he's trying to call attention to how rampant prejudice was at this time (not like it isn't now), which, given Moore's humorous treatment of other aspects of Victorian culture in written segments of the book seems highly plausible, but I'm still convinced that there's a more respectful way to accomplish this without depicting Chinese people as monkey-like creatures and virtually every woman as a harlot busting out of her dress.

Where does one draw the line between using shocking, debasing imagery as a way to call attention to injustices, and using shocking, debasing imagery simply to shock and debase? I won't even pretend to have an answer to that, but I do know that Moore's presentation of women and various ethnic groups doesn't sit well with me at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Good thoughts. I haven't read this yet, but I'm glad to get your review of it!