Sally's Reviews > Born Again

Born Again by Charles W. Colson

Mar 31, 2010

bookshelves: christian-non-fiction, inspirational, politics, america
Read from April 17 to 22, 2012

Early yesterday evening, I was reading sections of this book to my husband. I'd had it in my collection of books to read for over a year, but only with the news of Colson's deterioration had I finally picked it up. We had been watching the NHL hockey playoffs so it wasn't until I went online that I learned Chuck Colson had gone to be with the Lord.

The obituaries in the media today are focusing on Colson's time in Nixon's White House. They are focused on the "Hatchet Man." And some of the things being said, I would have believed if not for Born Again.

Colson was refreshingly honest about his life before and after his conversion to Christianity. He spoke of how proud he was to have an office in the Administration, and how there was a feeling that he and his colleagues would do anything in order to serve President Nixon. It was a flawed thinking; they were, after all, serving a man who believed that any act, "When the president does it, it's not illegal." He also wrote of his struggle between the man and God, noting that when things went bad it was more often than not because he had presumed to take control of the situation rather than leaving it in God's hands.

This is not just a book about a Christian called Charles Colson. It's about the Nixon administration, Vietnam, the social climate of the late 60s and early 70s, and - of course - Watergate. Some will love this book because of its historical value, some will hate it claiming Colson only wrote it to improve his reputation. But, at this poignant point in time, I see it as the book of a man who had his flaws and knew it, and who is now in the arms of his Lord and Savior.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born Again.