Cassie's Reviews > Untamed

Untamed by P.C. Cast

Apr 02, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, paranormal
Read from March 30 to 31, 2010

The writing is still terrible. I don't see how this could ever be made into a movie with the amount of inner revelation Zoey has. Watching her think and blank out while the other characters silently watch her would be pretty boring. It seems like so many inconsequential events are described, but instead of meeting my expectation that they might be important or at least point to something later in the book, they remain inconsequential. All the descriptions that are constantly banged about the reader's head are also inconsequential. A reminder in the beginning of the book is okay, but repeating something on almost every page is not. The lingo is still annoying, especially the use of the word "again." They don't all have to talk like that. It seems that those silly repetitions are supposed to be a way of developing the secondary characters, but it's not very successful.

I thought the story itself redeemed the bad writing, but now I'm not so sure. It's just weird now, and all the cultures are clashing. Except for the one that I thought would come in, the People of the Faith. It's disconcerting that story lines are introduced and then completely dropped. The Stark thing was not well done, and not even necessary.

Yet for some reason, I'm still reading this series. There is something fun about it, much as I bash it. I think some parts, particularly Aphrodite, are laugh out loud funny. I generally, though not specifically (as noted above and previously), enjoy the interactions between the characters. Despite the lack of a real romantic element, the scene between Zoey and Erik was gripping. And I do find Zoey to be a good protagonist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Untamed.