Ashley's Reviews > How I Live Now

Nov 10, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read from October 17 to November 09, 2010

*I wish I could give this book both 3 and 5 stars*

I really struggled in deciding whether to give this book 3 or 5 stars. Yes, you read that correctly. Not 4 or 5, or even 3 or 4... but 3 or 5.

The first way to describe this book is, in my opinion, strange. Very good, but definitely strange. This story is about love, lust, family, perseverance, survival, war, eating disorders, depression.... ya, it's all over the map. That combined with the very unique (and slightly annoying at first) writing style with run on sentences, improper punctuation and random capital letters, is what makes this book so different and hard for me to rate.

At first, I thought "nope- this is just to different for me, I'm not going to like it", but by about the middle of the book I was captivated and totally engaged with the characters. Seeing a story of war from a child perspective, with very little adult influence was very fascinating and very honest.

Daisy is an incredibly interesting MC with a lot of flaws. I think the most interesting aspect of the story is watching her grow and mature emotionally out of necessity for survival. He commitment to Piper is incredibly interesting and I think it's what saves her and gives her the power to keep going.

The Edmund story line was..... just..... weird. Perhaps I missed something, but I really didn't understand the necessity of their familial ties. I got the intensity, but why in inappropriateness? This is where I struggled.

However, this book takes you on an emotional journey that's both sad, terrifying and hopeful. It's the uniqueness of the book that makes it so captivating and I really recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How I Live Now.

Quotes Ashley Liked

Meg Rosoff
“I don't get nearly enough credit in life for the things I manage not to say.”
Meg Rosoff, How I Live Now

10/22/2010 page 26
11/09/2010 page 149
77.0% "yeesh... almost there. This tiny little book is taking me forever."
show 5 hidden updates…