MelissaB's Reviews > Apache Bride

Apache Bride by Joanne Redd

1320046
Mar 31, 2010

bookshelves: historical-romance, native-american-romance, paper-books-i-own, captured-kidnapped-by-hero, 2011-reads
Read from September 09 to 18, 2011

Alison Carr travels from her home in the East to Mexico to visit her father. Along the trip, she is in a small Mexican town when she catches the eye of an Apache chief known as "El Halcon" or the Falcon, also called Ramon. He decides he wants her so he steals her away from her bed at night. Alison is a strong-willed woman who tries her hardest to either escape or convince Ramon to take her back. Ramon is a fierce Apache man who refuses to let Alison go and makes it clear to her that he considers her his and he never lets go of what is his.

Eventually, they make their way to his Apache camp in a secluded valley. Once there, Alison decides to make the best of her fate and try to adapt to the Apache life but she makes it clear to Ramon that she will not willingly sleep with him. Ramon is a proud man who wants her to choose to be with him, so they settle into an uneasy truce where she cooks and cleans for him while he tries to seduce her. Over many weeks, Alison starts to fall for Ramon as she gets to know him and admires him for being a strong leader. Eventually, Ramon decides to make Alison his wife because he wants to be with her for the rest of his life. Alison finally accepts him once they are married though she still resents him kidnapping her and taking away her freedom. She tries to be the best wife she can because she wants his respect even if he doesn't love her, as she finds herself falling for him despite her intentions. The rest of the story tells how they learn to live with each other and fall in love. Alison learns how to live like an Apache while Ramon learns how to accept his assertive very much non-submissive wife who is very different from other Apache women, but he enjoys the challenge.

I enjoyed this book, the lead couple had a good chemistry. Ramon was a very alpha man who knew what he wanted and took it - namely Alison. But he didn't ever hurt her, he just refused to let her go because he believed they were meant to be together. He was patient with her refusal of him and accepting of her standing up to him often. He liked her strength and admired her hard work. Alison was a good heroine who was very practical and smart enough to read her situation and make wise choices. She didn't keep fighting Ramon when she realized there was no chance of escape, instead she made the best of her situation and tried to adapt to the Apache way of life. She stuck to her beliefs and didn't hop in the sack right away with Ramon because she thought he wouldn't respect her. They get to know each other over months so the progression of their relationship was believable. It was nice to see them married because they were happy together, though it took them awhile to admit their mutual love because they were both stubborn.

I liked this book both for the romance and the description of the locations and Apache way of life. If you like Native American romances and kidnapping themes, I would recommend this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Apache Bride.

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill Sounds good Melissa. Although it can be a bit of a lottery with NA. Look forward to your review.

MelissaB I will let you know! The other one I read by her was about a 3.5 star book but I am going to try this one!

message 3: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully I hope it's good :-)

message 4: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen Great review, Melissa.

MelissaB Thanks Kristen!

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill Sounds great Melissa! Wonderful review! I'm going to track this one down.

message 7: by MelissaB (last edited Sep 18, 2011 07:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MelissaB Jill wrote: "Sounds great Melissa! Wonderful review! I'm going to track this one down."

Thanks Jill! Hope you like it.

Jessica Great review, Melissa! I'll have to add this one to my books to buy list.

MelissaB Jessica wrote: "Great review, Melissa! I'll have to add this one to my books to buy list."

Thanks Jessica, it's an oldie.

message 10: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully "If you like Native American romances and kidnapping themes, I would recommend this one"

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Great review Melissa.

MelissaB AgentScully wrote: ""If you like Native American romances and kidnapping themes, I would recommend this one"

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Great review Melissa."

Thanks Agent Scully, let me know if I should add it to your pile.

message 12: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Please do :-)

MelissaB AgentScully wrote: "Please do :-)"

Will do!