Amber's Reviews > The Mists of Avalon

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Nov 28, 2007

Read in December, 2007

I picked this book up off the shelf as a wim. I had watched bits and pieces of the tv mini series and liked it so I figured the book had to be somewhat good. I had a hard time jumping right into it until about page 150 then I was hooked. I was in shock, and delight and the happening that occured thru out the story. At points I was so repulsed that I couldnt put the book down hoping that characters such as Gwenyfer would redeem herself. Which to my on going hope she did not. Of all the tales I have heard or watched in movies about King Arthur I do not believe anyone had put Gwen into such unloving light. I loved the continued struggle against chrisitianity vs the goddess, how in the end it is pointed out that many of the christian saints and celebrations were off shoots of pagan holidays and peoples. The incorporation of other legends such as the holy grail and atalantis was interesting all though with the introduction of the holy grail into the story I felt that the story line began to be rushed. It was as if the last 200 or so pages were written in a whirl wind to finish the on goin saga trying to wrap up to quickly some of the in depth lives of the characters and trying to add to my depth to characters that didnt have that much build up thru out the story. All in all I LOVED this book. I plan on reading it again yet not any time soon as it was rather time consuming, at points extremely hard to pay attention to and at others so engrossing that I could barely put it down.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mists of Avalon.

10/19/2016 marked as: read