Michelle Vivienne's Reviews > Don't Know Much About the Bible: Everything You Need to Know About the Good Book but Never Learned

Don't Know Much About the Bible by Kenneth C. Davis

Aug 24, 10

Read in December, 2007

I finnished this book on Christmas Eve. It's a Christmas miracle! This book highlights the important and entertaining events in the Old and New Testament. I was surprised to found out how violent and sexual these times were. I found the events very engaging and somewhat reminicent of greek mythology which I also like learning about.

While I now have a better understanding of the bible I really disliked that the writer made it obvious that he does not believe that the bible's events took place. The writer took it upon himself to point out every contradiction and tried to relate biblical times to current times with a corny sense of humor. He reduces many of the miraculous events to science to determine if it's possible for certain things to have happened. I wish I had picked up a different intro bible book from a believer so I could have read it as it was meant to be understood.

What I did appreciate was the thorough historical background of these times, especially with Rome and Israel. He also included a timeline of different civilizations and their progress while the bible is being created so you can see what the rest of the world is up to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Know Much About the Bible.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shanna I read it quite a while ago, but I distinctly remember getting no sense that he was putting across that he did not believe in the bible/god.