Katherine Marple's Reviews > Heartless

Mar 31, 2010

liked it
Read from April 20 to 25, 2010

3.5 Stars:

I am not a romance reader. I typically do not enjoy those novels, except for a few Nora Roberts books. Nicholas Sparks might catch me by surprise once in a while as well, but for the most part- romance is a no go for me.

I read this novel as part of a book club on GoodReads, where the authors meet and share their works. Jaimey Grant is a sweetheart. She is very talented at drawing a picture of the characters and making me be able to imagine them walking throughout a castle. She has the ability to make me care for even her most "heartless" of characters as well.

The only issue that I had with "Heartless" was there were many characters. It became hard to remember each of them. This was frustrating because when a new character entered the scene, they were drawn with such grace that I could imagine what they looked like... but then by the next chapter, that character was gone and/or another was added and then I couldn't seem to keep them straight. If all of these characters were needed in the story, it would have been most helpful if the story was 200-300 pages longer. That way, I would have the chance to really get to know each of them so that they would stay in my mind as the story continued.

By the end of the book, I was so mixed up that I still don't quite know who the assailants were. I will have to re-read the story again to remember which character was the one who betrayed by the end, but I wanted to post an honest review before I went back to dissect the story.

Overall, Grant does a phenominal job of painting a picture. I know exactly what the castle looks like, the grounds, the elegant rooms, the dresses that Lady Derringer wears, the way the Duke's hair falls across his face. But, the only characters that I got to "know" were the duchess and the duke (each of which has three to four names; depending on how "close" you were to them would determine which name you were allow to address them with). With so many supporting characters, the mystery behind the duke's mother's death and his father's disappearance, Leandra's father's will, Leandra's brother, the golden locket, her aggravating family, her darling sister Michaella, etc. The story could have been much longer and it could have been much more detailed.

Overall, a good, fast read. It has major 5-star potential, but needs a lot more story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heartless.

04/21/2010 page 50
show 1 hidden update…

Katherine Marple Just ordered my copy for the PIF group reading session starting April 15th! Can't wait to dig in!

I'll be honest, I'm not a "romance" reader (I prefer narrations) but I'm willing to give anything a try. The cover on this book is beautiful.

message 2: by Jaimey (new) - added it

Jaimey Awww, thanx, Katherine! I'm so glad you're willing to give Heartless a chance. I know romance is not everyone's cup of tea so I really appreciate it.

Happy reading!