Polly Todd's Reviews > The Spook's Sacrifice

The Spook's Sacrifice by Joseph Delaney

Apr 05, 10

Recommended to Polly by: Lancashire Book of the Year Shortlist
Recommended for: followers of the series
Read from March 31 to April 05, 2010, read count: 1

I came to this book expecting great things and relishing the opportunity to indulge my love of the fantasy/myth genre. Perhaps suffering from not reading the first few books in the series, I had two or three false starts to this story. I don't know what it was about it, but somewhere along the line it missed the mark for me.

It has all the brilliant ingredients that should, by any measure, lead to a gripping and enthralling yarn. The use of real locations was a pure stroke of genius, (As a Lancashire lass myself, I really enjoyed the matching & puzzling about the various place names & landmarks!) the inclusion of many well-known creatures and legends - again fantastic!

I can't say that I'm a great fan of the first person narrative - I often find that (contrary to popular opinion & writing theory) very difficult to engage with, and perhaps it was this that got in the way of my being drawn into the book from the off.

When I did get further than the second chapter, I enjoyed the blurring of the good/bad argument as Tom has to make decisions that are far from clear-cut about who he can trust, and as I have said previously, I did enjoy different elements of the storyline. Although the book didn't grip me I can see this as a superb film!! I know that the series has some very keen followers and I am quite prepared to believe that it could be a series which needs to be followed from the beginning to make the most of the comfortable relationships drawn between some of the characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spook's Sacrifice.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ivette (new)

Ivette I agree with your review, it is a series that has to be read from the beggining. It explains a lot of things in the first books, like the different witch clans, etc. Though I did notice that he tends to repeat what each thing means at the beggining for the people who didn't start at the first book like you did.
I highly recomend you read the first one, even though it's not the best, it's still an enjoyable read, and it sort of the introduction to eveything and it helps you warm up to the characters.
I agree with what you said about the film, it does have a lot of potential.