Jason Koivu's Reviews > Building Great Sentences: Exploring the Writer's Craft

Building Great Sentences by Brooks Landon

Mar 21, 14

bookshelves: writing
Read from March 30 to April 09, 2010

Indispensable! Once you've built your foundation on solid stuff like Strunk and White's The Element of Style and put in a good deal of practice when you first start up, then Building Great Sentences is your next step.

This lecture lays down a comprehendible road map for proper structure that flows like a German sports car winding along the autobahn. Before you know it, you'll be constructing high-flying sentences as amazingly acrobatic as a Cirque du Soleil act.

Just be careful you don't go too fast for too long or go flying off the trapeze, because although it might be a joy to you, forcing your passengers along on a seemingly endless ride or making them watch your overtly ornate acrobatics will eventually weary them. Landon teaches you how to correctly construct some sentence-whoppers! But be sure to use that power for the forces of good!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Building Great Sentences.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terence (new)

Terence I'm too lazy to be very serious about writing but I do love reading about it. Have you read Richard Lanham's Revising Prose?

My thesis advisor in grad school put me on to him.

Jason Koivu I haven't see that one. Thanks!

message 3: by ~Geektastic~ (last edited Mar 21, 2014 01:11PM) (new) - added it

~Geektastic~ I work for the company that makes these (The Great Courses)! I'm glad you liked it!

message 4: by Anthony (last edited Mar 21, 2014 01:17PM) (new)

Anthony Vacca All acrobatic, long sentences are for the forces of good. They're like complex carbs for the eyes.

Jason Koivu ~Geektastic~ wrote: "I work for the company that makes these (The Great Courses)! I'm glad you liked it!"

You just became a rockstar in my eyes! I love the Great Courses series! Can I ask what you do for them?

Jason Koivu Anthony wrote: "All acrobatic, long sentences are for the forces of good. They're like fruit and vegetables for the eyes."

I love me some long-ass, yet sound sentences, but I hand to reign it in a bit on the book I just put out. I had some great doozies that were hella fun to write, and grammatically correct, yet that weren't a lot of fun to read. During the edits I had to chop some of them up, because even I was like, "what the hell is this guy saying?" But a good sentence that builds on itself, complimenting the topic at every turn and expanding the idea are a beautiful thing to behold.

~Geektastic~ I work mostly in the call center (not terribly glamorous) but I also write reviews for our website and for a while I did copy writing in our marketing department. It's all worth it for the free courses and professor meet-and-greets.

Jason Koivu ~Geektastic~ wrote: "I work mostly in the call center (not terribly glamorous) but I also write reviews for our website and for a while I did copy writing in our marketing department. It's all worth it for the free cou..."

Fringe benefits of that nature are the best! I worked at an online map retailer and now I own a stock pile of maps and travel books. Totally worth the headaches of working there!