Alex's Reviews > Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis

Nov 28, 07

bookshelves: non-fiction, food-for-thought
Recommended for: Americans, politics, Jimmy Carter fans
Read in October, 2006

With a name like 'Our Endangered Values' I was a little put off and expected to read some very conservative 'America's going to hell-in-a-handbasket' Christian rantings. Then again, it's Jimmy Carter, who has long taken a humanist stance in terms of values and politics. As a (progressive) Christian, Carter is pretty much preaching to the choir in this book yet it's refreshing, after seeing Christianity represented in such a conservative light on TV, to read the words of someone so well respected and clearly-a-Christian espouse such a humanist philosophy, which, in my opinion, is much more in line with what Christ was about. Carter isn't the greatest writer but the book is short and sweet and very much food for thought. He talks about the separation of church and state, about how at times he did not want to take certain actions due to his own beliefs but set those aside to represent a broader American view, a country which represents people of a variety of faiths, not just his own. If you like Carter, frustrated by the TV example of Christians today, interested in reading a completely different perspective on government, this book is for you. Enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Endangered Values.