Katherine's Reviews > The Secret World of Og

The Secret World of Og by Pierre Berton

Apr 05, 10

bookshelves: liam, 2010
Recommended for: Ages six and up
Read from March 28 to 30, 2010, read count: many

** spoiler alert ** I adored this book as a child and just finished reading the same copy (with my childhood illustrations added next to Pasty's) to my almost seven-year-old son. He loved it just as I did, carrying it around the house and reading bits himself when once in a while I had to put it down.

In this story, five siblings--all based on and named for Berton's actual children--find a secret staircase under their playhouse that takes to them to a secret world of childlike green people. These little green Ogs sneak up to the above-ground world at night and gather up any toys or comic books they find lying around outside. Down below, the little creatures wear dress-up clothes and talk like comic book heros and cowboys. When the baby brother and pet cat find the tunnel and disappear down below, the elder four have to go down and rescue them. Now, doesn't that just sound great?

A word of warning: kids of sixish may find the Ogs and their pointy teeth scary at first. Also, there is a scene late in the story where one of the children actually has a noose put around his neck and the Ogs start pulling - I do wish that wasn't there. But don't let that turn you off the book. I asked my son what his favorite part was and he said he didn't have one: "Every part was my favorite!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret World of Og.

04/01/2010 page 82