Julie Lovisa's Reviews > The Enchanted Wood

The Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyton

Apr 06, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010
Read from March 30 to April 05, 2010

This has to be one of the most fantastic childrens' books I've ever read. I discovered it existed while reading a magazine article about the top book picks of certain authors. It is published only in the UK, but is so worth searching out.

The tale revolves around three children who live next to the Enchanted Wood, which houses the Faraway Tree. The Faraway tree is home to many wonderful people -- Mister Whatizname, Dame Washalot, Silky the Fairy, Moon Face, and eventually The Saucepan Man -- but the best part of the Faraway Tree is that at the very top is a ladder that reaches through the clouds. At the top of the ladder can be any sort of lovely or demented land you can imagine, such as The Land of Take-What-You-Want, The Roundabout Land (everything turns like a carousel, including the land itself), The Land of Snow (presided over by a bossy snowman, to boot), and The Land of Birthdays. Each land is there only for a short amount of time before it swings away to be replaced by another, and if you're in there when it goes ... let's just say that it's quite an adventure to get you back to The Enchanted Wood!

I read this book to my son and it's one of the few that he begged me to keep reading night after night. There are a few sequels and I have to admit that I can't wait to see what happens next, either!
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enchanted Wood.