Matt's Reviews > Invisible

Invisible by Paul Auster

Mar 30, 10

Read in March, 2010

So......
This is the first book I've ever read by Paul Auster, and I must say, I was very impressed by this thrilling, disturbing and kinda weird book. His grasp of the narrative was absolute throughout, no small feat considering the extreme meta-literary gymnastics he puts the reader through. I enjoyed the unfolding mysteries, the multiple (and often (or maybe not) unreliable) narrators, the jumps forwards and backwards in time, and the globe-spanning locales.
I guess I only knocked one star off because of the unanswered questions, especially the big one: did Adam Walker really, um, do that stuff (readers know what I mean). I understand the whole unreliable narrator bit, but I guess it seems a little passe to me, or if not, then this book should be the final statement on unreliable storytellers.
It seems like Auster went to too much trouble setting up these characters and intense situations to just leave us hanging.
Still, I was engrossed the whole time, and I would highly recommend it to someone looking for a challenging, post-modern drama.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Invisible.