Nancy's Reviews > Rapture Ready!: Adventures in the Parallel Universe of Christian Pop Culture

Rapture Ready! by Daniel Radosh

F_50x66
Mar 30, 10

Read in March, 2010

I had such high hopes for this book. Fundamentalist Christianity fascinates me, and I am especially intrigued with Rapture-focused beliefs. When I hear about young fundamentalist children who go home to an unexpectedly empty house and immediately assume that everyone but them has been "raptured," I have a peculiar impulse to weep with compassion and laugh hysterically, both at the same time. (Note: that impulse is not a happy one - it's actually quite uncomfortable - but it IS intriguing.)

So poo on Daniel Radosh, who, instead of writing a thoughtful, well-organized, well-researched analysis of Rapture culture, wrote instead a shallow, patronizing, scattered comic book. His smug take on far-right Christian culture is not a liberal rant; but that's all you can say about it. If you haven't read this, don't waste your time - go straight to _The Unlikely Disciple_ by Kevin Roose, which examines many of the same issues, but is infinitely better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rapture Ready!.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I think the subtitle ought to make it clear that his focus is not on rapture culture and teachings, but on Christian (esp. evangelical) pop culture. Though I agree that The Unlikely Disciple is a better book.