Kristen "Kirby" 's Reviews > The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Jul 24, 10

bookshelves: reviews
Recommended for: kiddies who loved Twilight and enjoy Evermore, Fallen, etc
Read on July 14, 2010, read count: 1

Short Second was like a so-so fanfiction that let allowed readers to jump back into a generic form of Twilight. You have barely constructed main characters, who in this case were Bree, newborn vampire of a couple months, and Diego, the obvious nomination for Bree’s love interest and companion. Is Diego Mexican? Does he speak Spanish? Did the author even pause to think that maybe, just maybe, readers would want to know a bit about the characters personalities, backgrounds, APPEARANCE? How do you read a book when you don’t know what the characters look like…ugh, moving on.

Why was Diego so different from the other vampires and wholeheartedly trusting of Bree? And why did he even survive as long as he did with this way of thinking? Did Meyer just think, Bree has to have a boyfriend, and since I’m on a hurry to grab a few extra bills, I’ll just make Diego a mindless idiot who instantly likes Bree?

And Bree, was she really that lonely? In one chapter she went from solo anti-social vamp, to swinging hands with some guy she just met… He was gorgeous though, so I’m told. He wasn’t exactly described so I can’t say for sure. Good looking brain-dead guy+ new lonely vampire girl= love in a couple of pages.

But I know what freaky Fred looks like! Stringy blonde hair down to his shoulders and really tall. He’s a minor character, but hey, I’ll take any descriptions that I can get.

(PS: Did Edward dye his hair? My fuzzy memory believes he had golden brown hair, not red. Hmm.)

As for all the revelations I was expecting to become common knowledge, zilch. Nada. My questions as to why these Twilight vamps sparkle, why newborns are so powerful, why there are voulturi, why Victoria’s newborns were so expandable…etc were not answered.

Short Second was basically just a half-*ssed short story that Meyer threw out and a publisher automatically stamped just because he knew it’d sell. Even I, a person who is capable of overlooking grammar and spelling mistakes, sighed at the many I found with every flip of the page….

There you have it. And from a fan, too. Tsk, tsk.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by S (new) - rated it 4 stars

S Yes, ten pages later she is dead, but I do often wonder what it would be like to be a Twilight newborn vampire. Bella does not count, because she isn't normal.

Kimberley I also wondered why Edward's hair was suddenly dark red! Stupid SM!

Kristen "Kirby" lol, I know, right? I wonder what was up with that.

Magdalena (Maggie) Nightingale I think it was originally described as bronze, but hey, this isn't my forte. I'm a Harry Potter officianado ((sp?)).

Kimberley I like HP too :D but I really didn't like it that his hair was described as red!!!

Magdalena (Maggie) Nightingale I know! It should have been a golden brown.

Kenna Though I respect your opinion, I have to disagree with the first part. When the author doesn't give a detailed description of a character, it gives your imagination freedom to go anywhere! Just like in Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare not once tells a deep, thought-out description of ANY character. So any of those who wished to recreate it were able to do whatever they pleased with the look. That's why there are so many versions that greatly differ from one another.
I honestly do agree that it was pointless and a bit idiot of Meyer to add in the bit of romance, though. It was so predictable. And at the same time, very poorly put together. they new each other not even 48 hours, and were already kissing? Sounds like a typical teenage "love" story, which is not the reason behind reading this novella.
All in all, I still really enjoyed this book, and suggest you keep an open mind.