Ellen Maze's Reviews > Twisted

Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson

Apr 05, 10

Recommended to Ellen by: ---
Recommended for: teenage boys who have problems fitting in
Read from March 30 to April 05, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

TWISTED by Laurie Halse Anderson

ABOUT THE STORY:

TWISTED is a novel about a boy named Tyler. As it says inside the cover--"Everybody told me to be a man. ...Nobody told me how." And that is what this book is about; a few life-altering months in the life of Tyler Miller. A 17-yr old High School kid with a crush on Bethany Milbury (`Holy Goddess of Hotness' p.7), who just happens to be the daughter of the very wealthy boss of Tyler's dad. But Tyler isn't good enough to be Bethany's boyfriend. He spent the first 10 years of school being the geek, the fall-guy and the punching bag of every cool guy in school. YET...over the summer, Tyler got buff, and his new reputation as the school's bad boy after a last year prank didn't hurt him none with the other kids. So when the book opens, formerly nerdy Tyler is being noticed for the first time by the girl of his dreams. He is finding healthy respect among kids who used to torture him, and a new enemy in Bethany's bullying twin brother Chip. Thus the game begins.

Tyler has to deal with his hormonal handicap whenever Bethany comes near, threatening gestures from her psycho brother, and his dad's absentee parenting style. Tyler's mother and sister are about the only people who don't cause him trouble and he needs the respite. He has a parole officer who gives him quite a bit of leash and a best friend named Yoda who gives him good advice. When Tyler has a chance to take advantage of Bethany at a party, he makes a mature choice but isn't rewarded for his heroic efforts.

WORTHINESS:

TWISTED is not a ground-shattering addition to the world's novel collection. Teenagers (especially boys) will read it to the end, though. The book speaks for them, describes them, and gives them a shoulder to lean on; another lurching kid to commiserate with. The book is well-written and edited.

On the other hand, I doubt many kids will recommend it to one another or share their copy with their best friends. I doubt any kids will read it twice. While reading, they may wish the book would hurry up and start. Looking forward to something happening in the way of retribution for wrongs or revenge for mistreatment (that's what I was waiting for). I read the book all the way to the end thinking something BIG was on the horizon. Not really.

TO SUM UP:

TWISTED is a peek into Tyler Miller's life where nothing huge really happens but he does learn how to act more like a man than he did in the beginning. Maybe other teens in the same stage of their lives will be encouraged and know they're not alone. They're not the only ones with these kinds of problems.
My advice: check it out from the library instead of purchasing it.

Signed,
Ellen C Maze, author of YA and A Vampire Fiction
Check out bestselling debut novel: Rabbit Chasing Beth Rider anywhere you buy books
Rabbit  Chasing Beth Rider by Ellen C. Maze
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twisted.

03/30/2010 page 25
10.0% "Reading to research this genre, technique. I'll let you know more as I go along. So far, kind of dull."
04/02/2010 page 115
46.0% "hooked now, but still nothing's happened. Maybe this is just a talking book..."
show 1 hidden update…