Alisha Marie's Reviews > The Murderer's Daughters

The Murderer's Daughters by Randy Susan Meyers

Feb 17, 11

bookshelves: e-books-i-ve-read, contemporary-fiction
Read in February, 2011

I had such high hopes for this book. From the reviews and the synopsis, it seemed like it would be right up my alley: psychologically complex, angsty, dramatic. But nope, no dice. Okay, well, it was a dramatic (but not in a good way) and angsty, but it was just very mediocre. And here's my biggest problem with The Murderer's Daughters...it was repetition galore.

Firstly, this book dragged. My God was this a long book! And it was only 320 pages, but man, did it feel long! Again, this was excacerbated by the repetition going on (I'll get back to that). Another thing was that there's no plot in this book. At all. Now, I don't mind books about character development...as long as the characters, you know, actually develop. But they don't. For Merry and Lulu it was the same shit, different year.

In 1971:

Merry [while touching her scar]: I want you to see Daddy!
Lulu: I don't want to see Daddy! He killed our Mama and stabbed you! Stop seeing him and grow up!

In 2003:

Merry [while touching her scar]: Why don't you see Daddy?
Lulu: He killed are mother! Why are you still seeing him?

And on, and on, and on, and on. It started getting seriously annoying. Nothing happened in The Murderer's Daughter after the intial two chapters. Nothing different, anyway. This all could've been covered in two to three chapters and made a pretty good short story. Plus, Lulu and Merry started getting on my last nerves after a while. First of all, no one forced Merry to see her dad so that whole "I was smothered by everyone else's needs" was crap because she could've stopped seeing her dad whenever she wanted. And Lulu was a hypocrite with her whole "Merry, we need to stick together crap" considering that she kept telling Merry to get her own life. How is she supposed to do both? Gah!

So, in short (or semi-long), I didn't really like The Murderer's Daughter. Two stars instead of one for having an extremely intriguing premise. Too bad it couldn't have worked out in a way that didn't have me turning back the pages thinking "I swore I've already ready this part!"
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murderer's Daughters.