Jen's Reviews > Fool on the Hill

Fool on the Hill by Matt Ruff

Apr 30, 10

bookshelves: former-bees
Read from March 30 to April 29, 2010

You know how Tim Gunn is always telling the people on Project Runway that they need to edit? Yea, Ruff could have used an editor on this one. It's about 100 pages too long, and there are at least one or two too many story lines.

I would like to be able to summarize what the book is about, but I just don't think that I can. Too much going on. There are sprites and animated rats and Bohemians and Frat Boys and writers and talking dogs and cats, and Calliope, and just too much!

I will point out that I read the whole thing, so it couldn't have been that bad. It started out like gang-busters. So creative, really liked the characters, was intrigued to see how the story would unfold. Then it just started to drag. It slowed way down in the middle, a lot of which I will fully admit to skimming.

Fool is definitely well written, and it's creative for sure, I just think it's a bit too long and complicated for itself.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fool on the Hill.

03/30/2010 page 41
10.25% "This is incredibly creative and funny!"
04/26/2010 page 263
65.75% "What happened to the Sprites?"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mary I'm in the middle and just can't seem to pick it up and finish it. Is it worth finishing?

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen I think I would probably say no. It was really creative, but I recall getting very bogged down to where I just didn't care about the characters or plot anymore. There's too much good stuff out there to plow through a book you're not wild about.

Mary Thanks for a fast response. I'm thinking the same thing. I'm going to start something else on my trip this weekend.