Johnsergeant's Reviews > Atlas Shrugged

Nov 27, 07

bookshelves: audiblecom, audiobook
Read in October, 2001

Downloaded from Audible.com

The original version I downloaded no longer seems to be available on Audible, so the info below is for a new edition published in 2007.

This book was an unexpected surprise for me. I didn't expect to like it, since I thought my political beliefs were the opposite of Ayn Rands'. In fact it was a very powerful novel and an excellent audiobook. Very thought provoking.

Narrator: Christopher Hurt
Publisher: Blackstone Audiobooks, 2007
Length: 52 hours and 19 min.

Publisher's Summary
Atlas Shrugged is the "second most influential book for Americans today" after the Bible, according to a joint survey conducted by the Library of Congress and the Book of the Month Club.

This is the story of a man who said that he would stop the motor of the world - and did. Is he a destroyer or a liberator? Why does he fight his hardest battle not against his enemies, but against the woman he loves?

Tremendous in scope, breathtaking in its suspense, Atlas Shrugged is Ayn Rand's magnum opus and launched an ideology and a movement. With the publication of this work in 1957, Rand gained an instant following and became a phenomenon. Atlas Shrugged emerged as a premier moral apologia for capitalism, a defense that had an electrifying effect on millions of readers (and now listeners) who had never heard capitalism defended in other than technical terms.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atlas Shrugged.