Jay's Reviews > Emma

Emma by Jane Austen

2419499
Apr 06, 2010

bookshelves: books-i-own, classic, deliciousness, incest-is-best
Read from March 30 to April 06, 2010

Finally a piece of classic literature that I can say I thoroughly enjoyed.

Although classified as a comedy of manners, I'd say it's more of a comedy in the way Shakespeare's comedies are. It has moments of amusement, yes, but it has a happy ending as opposed to a sad one. Romeo and Juliet vs Twelfth Night for instance. Everyone ends up happy and all is well in the world.

Okay, so Mrs Churchill dies, but that's rather inconsequential to the rest of the piece.

Although Austen intended Emma to be liked only by her, I really found Emma to be quite an amusing character, who I enjoyed reading about and all the exploits she found herself in. Oh, the issues that arise when you meddle in the affairs of others!

I must say that the only character I didn't particularly enjoy was Miss Bates, but that was mostly because her relentless blabbering reminds me of one too many people at work and some people outside of work. There's only so much blindless one-sided chatter a person can tolerate before wanting to throw the book/person across the room and never look at it/them again.

But I enjoyed the book a lot, far more than I expected to.

And I have an urge to shelve this as 'theoretical-physics' for no reason but my own amusement.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emma.

04/01/2010 page 55
04/02/2010 page 108
21.09% "Actually enjoying this quite a bit."
04/05/2010 page 402
78.52% "Poor Emma. I'm enjoying this a lot."
show 1 hidden update…