Becky Ginther's Reviews > The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

May 16, 13

bookshelves: children-s-classics, favorites, historical-fiction, realistic-fiction, romance, classics
Read in May, 2013

Every time I re-read the Great Gatsby, I fall more and more in love with it. This is the American masterpiece. This book takes place in the Jazz Age, the age of the American Dream, the time when people thought they could have everything that they wanted. Gatsby is no exception – he has everything except what he really wants, which is Daisy, and he truly believes that he can get her. Unfortunately, the real world is not always as nice and as simple as dreams, and winning Daisy over is not as easy as he expected – nor is she the same Daisy that he knew five years ago. This book is just full of brilliance in every corner. Fitzgerald’s gifts truly lie in the characters and their emotions, and he feels what they feel so obviously that he can write it beautifully. There are so many great themes in this book- the idea of hope and the green light, the carelessness of certain people (Tom and Daisy), Gatsby’s obsession with the past, and of course the American Dream. How could you not relate to at least something in this novel? Fitzgerald’s writing is absolutely poetic at times, but his plot and his characters are always interesting and the book is almost never boring.

There are only two books that I've really struggled to write a review for - Harry Potter, and this one. And that's because I love them both so much that I find it hard to really put my passion into words that I think will convey why they are so great. Because there are many things I could list that make it a great and enjoyable book, but at the end of the day there's just that special something that triggers in you emotionally and makes you connect to a story. And that's hard to describe sometimes.

I love how real everything about this book feels. Who hasn't pined after someone with unrealistic hopes (though perhaps not as obsessively as Gatsby)? And who hasn't run into those careless people in life like Tom and Daisy? How many of us have experienced thinking you were being honest and then realizing you were lying to yourself, like Nick? And the symbolism of the green light - there's just something really moving about that.

I could read this book 100 times and get something new out of it every time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gatsby.

Debbie And don't forget it takes place on Long Island!