Sarah's Reviews > Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks: An Epic Quest for Reality Among Role Players, Online Gamers, and Other Dwellers of Imaginary Realms

Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks by Ethan Gilsdorf

Apr 01, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended for: anyone who is a gamer, was a gamer, knows a gamer, and loves a gamer
Read from March 29 to April 01, 2010, read count: 1

4.1.10:
Now that I've finished the book, I have to say that I'm disappointed. Gilsdorf doesn't end the book the way I would hope a book about fantasy and questing would end, with a winner and a resolution. But that's the entire point. Real life is murky; it has shades of grey that can't be resolved. There isn't a winner and there isn't a looser - maybe Spike said it best, "Life isn't bliss. Life is just this; it's living." For me, the ending I hoped for was a hope that I can find that ending for myself, an "If he can do it, so can I," mentality that was a light at the end of the tunnel. Alas, I will have to find my own answers and make my own light if I can. And really, isn't that where the adventure lies?

3.30.10:
So far, a very interesting book. Although the author is several years older than me, his experiences with the gaming community echo my own. His quest to figure out whether being a "gamer" is a moniker he wants to wear proudly, or even to keep at all, is close to my heart as I try to figure out how to be a creative spirit in an adult world that doesn't have much time or and very little respect for the power and the pure enjoyment of playtime.

At the same time, the author remains aware of a larger purpose in his work - to examine and translate the gaming world into words and stories that make it accessible, if not entirely comprehensible to everyone else.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks.

03/31/2010 page 269

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michael As I've gotten older, I've BEEN less of a gamer, I suppose. That is, I've spent less time actually gaming. However, I was more reluctant to call myself a "gamer" back when I spent more time playing. I was sort of in-the-closet about it.

Now that I can't find much time for gaming, I guess I hold my time playing RPGs or Magic a little bit more sacred than before. Maybe that's why I embrace the moniker more than I used to. Or maybe, in my old age and wisdom, I'm just less concerned with whether people think I'm "cool" than I used to be.

Anyway, the book sounds fascinating.

Sarah It really is a great book. It's only out in hardback, so you probably don't want to pay for it, but you're welcome to borrow mine. Let me know if I should send it to you.

Michael That would be awesome. I'd definitely like to read it.

Fancy a temporary trade? (or permanent, if you're ambivalent about keeping the book...I almost never keep books once I've read them) I'd hate for you to spend money on shipping and get nothing in return.

If you'd like, I can send you a list of some books I own that I think you'd enjoy.

Sarah /grin My parents want to borrow it too, so I'm going to send it to them first. I'd fancy a trade with you with you after that though.