Bryce's Reviews > Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales

2205083
Mar 30, 2010

liked it
Read from March 30 to 31, 2010

Three and a half stars, really.

I’ve always thought that Stephen King excels at short form. He’s able to build realistic, sympathetic characters is just a few pages and he doesn’t always rely on the twist ending, like so many other authors of short stories. There are no “classic” stories here – for me, the never-forget SK shorts are The Jaunt, Quitter’s Inc., and Survivor Type – but if you like his other collections, Everything’s Eventual will not disappoint.

Some highlights (and low-lights) include:
“All that You Love will be Carried Away” – a wonderful character piece with the perfect ambiguous ending. The title is perfection.

“LT’s Theory of Pets” – Funny and then sobering. SK knows how to manipulate his readers... in the best of ways.

“The Little Sisters of Eluria” – Having just finished the Dark Tower series, I was disappointed in this story. Roland didn’t feel like himself – weak and overly sentimental.

“Everything’s Eventual” – On the other hand, is a great sideways addition to the Dark Tower mythos. But also good as a stand-alone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything's Eventual.