Greg's Reviews > Morning Is Dead

Morning Is Dead by Andersen Prunty

Mar 30, 2010

bookshelves: first-reads, fiction
Read from March 30 to April 01, 2010

Thank you Goodreads, and Grindhouse for the very first, First Reads, books I've won that I can say I really enjoyed. Although I think if my first first reads win, that sorry excuse of a book by the Sped's had been mixed with this book the results would have been even better (a note to ALL authors present, future, and well fuck it past too.... Heidi and Spencer inserted as main characters into any book would instantly make the book at least twenty percent better (the equivalent of at least one Goodreads.com star rating), besides being amazing people and stunning characters themselves, they also are a new archetype that everyone can relate with. I shouldn't have even had to write this, but for some bizarre reason there has only been one book about Heidi and Spencer so far, come'on authors lets correct this miscarriage of justice and literature!!).

I liked the book quite a bit even if Heidi and Spencer were not the main characters.

P.S.
For future librarians concerned with appeal factors and readers advisory, this book will appeal to people who find foul language hilarious in an stunted development kind of way, who have ever worked the third shift in a shitty town and started to feel disconnected with the day time world, and women who get pregnant in order to sell their abortions to multi-national corporations. There are other appeal factors I'm sure but these were the big three for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Morning Is Dead.

09/24/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by karen (new)

karen you managed to say not one thing about the book.
you inspire me.

Greg I said two things about the book, one that I really enjoyed it in the first sentence, and then in the last sentence that I liked the book.

message 3: by karen (new)

karen wow, you would be the star of my reader's advisory class. two sentences that mean the same thing, coming from a completely mysterious and subjective appreciation-place and no explanation why.

where are my appeal factors, greg??

message 4: by Greg (last edited Apr 03, 2010 07:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg I assume that readers coming to my reviews have read the 497 reviews prior to the one they are currently reading (as of this review of course) and that they are able to understand what I mean by 'I like this book', or 'I really enjoyed this book'.

I don't look down on my readers' intelligence and assume everything must be spelled out explicitly or spoon fed to them. I also don't feel that my readers need my reviews to be re-read and edited for grammatical errors, typos or convoluted nonsense.

message 5: by karen (new)

karen if you weren't already my friend, i would assume you were an asshole.

happy holy saturday.

Greg Instead you know that I'm an asshole?

Is it right to wish someone a happy day when this is the day our lord and savior was dead and trapped in hell and had to fight his way out like a teenage girl in a slasher picture?

message 7: by karen (new)

karen but we love those movies. this is the best part - right before the candy explosion-climax.

thank you for your modifications. now you are sure to get the votes. you see how everyone was restrained before this. they wait until you truly shine before they show their faces.

my paper is going fine, thanks for asking.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

i love this review. it led me to greg's review of the heidi-and-spencer book. and for that, i'll be eternally grateful.

message 9: by karen (new)

karen too bad he already gave the book away....

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

oh yeah. too bad.

message 11: by karen (new)

karen i could always mail you one. you're just down the street after all. for easter. and the rebirth of spring etc etc

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 03, 2010 08:32AM) (new)

and how appropriate to celebrate the brutal murder and subsequent resurrection of our lord with a quick read of the antichrist's instruction manual on how to be famous.

message 13: by karen (new)

karen ha! so that's a yes? i think i have to order it back into the store if you want it, greg destroyed all the copies we had.

no accounting for taste.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

the philosophy of being famous... that could go in greg's section, right?

message 15: by karen (new)

karen oh, certainly, but it went in bio, which is also his responsibility. with the brangelina book and that dude from twilight. poor greg.

message 16: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg I could only hope that I would go in my section, sadly the people in corporate don't see the book in the same enlightened way that you do Ariel, they insist on it going in television, when everyone knows the sped's transcend television!!

message 17: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg It wasn't my book at all, which is what confused me when the book came in. I really had no idea who these people were or why they were in the tv section.

message 18: by karen (new)

karen oh, oops. i guess because we never actually shelved it i thought it was yours.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

it went directly into the bonfire?

message 20: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg we should have a b&n bonfire, so much crap that could be burnt...

message 21: by Jasmine (new) - added it

Jasmine can we use bible as kindling.

Karen it isn't fair to always blame him. I commonly return books from his section without asking cause I find them insulting.

I sold a Brangelina book today.

message 22: by karen (new)

karen to ariel??

there is no blame - i celebrate the weeding.