Aaron Vincent's Reviews > Nightrise

Mar 30, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: horror-dark-fantasy
Read in March, 2010

It's the first time I read a sequel in a series on which events are in parallel to the previous book. Anthony Horowitz took a lot of risks in this book. One is the possibility that he might dissapoint his fans by the no-appearance-at-all of Matt, Pedro, Richard Cole and the rest and having the book in a completely new perspective. But I must say that I am glad he took those risks.

This is my favorite book in the series so far. It didn't have the creepy factor I really liked in Raven's Gate and I missed in Evil Star but it is still all good. It was brilliant and well thought of. I am also glad that it tells the story behind the "trick" that was mentioned in the first two books. The scene when John Trelawny is about to give a speech in his hometown was pretty intense. It was as if I held my breath for the whole scene.(Read it to know why cause I won't be giving any spoilers.)

There are two new characters introduced in this book, the twins Scott and Jamie. They are both interesting characters. Interesting enough to make Jamie my favorite character in the series. His growth from being feeble and dependent on his brother Scott to someone bold and independent is very commendable. The only thing I can complain is Jamie and Scott's name. I think their name doesn't fit their Native American identite. I find the names Scott and Jamie very white American. Well, its just the name.

For the first two reviews I made for the first two books in this series always ends up with the conclusion of where Anthony Horowitz is placed on my top authors. He gains the top 3 Bristish authors spot in Raven's Gate. He uncrowned Michael Scott for being the top Bristish Author in Evil Star. And for this, Nightrise, Anthony Horowitz gains the 2nd place in my Top Ten Authors. Runner up to Suzanne Collins and a little bit above Brandon Mull.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightrise.