Nicola's Reviews > Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories

Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories by Sandra Cisneros

Mar 30, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, short-stories, person-of-colour-protagonist

This is my favourite fact about Sandra Cisneros: she bought a house in San Antonio, Texas and painted it purple, which caused uproar in the neighbourhood.

When I grow up, I want to be Sandra Cisneros. I want to be a great writer; paint my house an obnoxious colour; and court other people's hatred.

Anyway.

This collection of short stories is, like many collections of short stories, a bit of a mixed bag. Most of the stories revolve around poor Latina women, touching upon themes of romance, religion and family. Inevitably, some of the stories are memorable; some are forgettable. Some feel insubstantial; some are overly long.

The great stories overshadow the mediocre ones, however. Cisneros has a talent for making the banal feel poignant, and she attacks life's inequalities with a gritty humour.

Three stars only because I can never get too excited about short stories. I do love Cisneros, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories.

04/13 marked as: read

message 1: by Adrianna (new) - added it

Adrianna I'll have to re-read this collection. I remember enjoying The House on Mango Street more.