Sarah's Reviews > The High King

The High King by Lloyd Alexander

Mar 29, 10

I own a copy, read count: 5

It's a great ending a great series. Finally, after "Taran Wanderer" Taran has become a man, but that doesn't mean he stops learning. While the other books are more about adventure, "The High King" always seemed different to me, as if everything beforehand was just a few lessons to be learned and now comes the final showdown with Arawn. The humor is still there, but the book includes the death of many friends and acquaintances. Several parts of this book always get me crying (but I won't go on because they would be spoilers) and I always finish the book with a certain feeling of longing that doesn't leave me for quite a while. The parts that really stay with me are Fflewdyr's sacrifice, the heroics of Rhun, the silly king that finally began to grow up, and the sad day at the Red Fallows. Then there's the three witches who come to Taran and speak of their weaving, leaving some things unanswered. This series really affected me growing up, and they'll always have a special place in my heart and on my bookshelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The High King.