Jen's Reviews > The Kazdin Method for Parenting the Defiant Child: With No Pills, No Therapy, No Contest of Wills

The Kazdin Method for Parenting the Defiant Child by Alan E. Kazdin

Apr 09, 10

Read from March 29 to April 09, 2010

Thoughts so far (about 1/4 in): This book should have been called "Parenting Children," not parenting defiant children. I would not have picked it up if it hadn't been recommended by someone else, because as obnoxious as my kids can be, I don't think of them as defiant. But so far, the approach seems sensible and backed up with data, and workable for all sorts of children and parents.

Update - thoughts after finishing/skimming before returning to the library. Am intrigued by the approach and think it sounds sensible. In fact, I've ordered a copy for reference. But it's not an exciting reading experience. So 5 stars for good information, minus a couple of stars because it's a parenting book and a slog to get through.

Someone needs to come up with a new marketing approach for self-help book authors, for readers who truly hate reading the genre - I will pay you full price, but you give me the information condensed into pamphlet form. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kazdin Method for Parenting the Defiant Child.