Danielle's Reviews > Girl v. Boy

Mar 29, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult-fiction
Read in March, 2010

This book was very refreshing!!! The kind of story that you would expect in a young adult novel. It did not involve vampires, werewolves and magical abilities. It involved our reality, there was no need for the supernatural in this book. This book told the story of a diverse group of inner city youth who attended a Chicago public school that was not the best and had families that were not the best. Their lives were no Seventh Heaven but that is what made the story great because most readers can relate to the experiences of these teenage. The book let us see their triumps and disappointments in their relationships with the opposite sex and the tough decisions they had to make regarding school versus work and family. The main female character Luisa Perez is a perfect example of the type of character in this book. Luisa worked after school to help her mother pay bills, gave up her room to her older sister and baby niece, and wrote a column for her school newspaper along with her regular school work. These characters seem like REAL PEOPLe. I really enjoyed this book, it was funny and had a bit of mystery in it too. I would recommend this book to teenagers and young adults.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl v. Boy.