Peacegal's Reviews > California Blue

California Blue by David Klass

Mar 29, 10

bookshelves: owned-books, favorites

As this is one of my all-time favorite books, I am saddened to see it’s no longer in print. I first read it back in high school and have re-read it countless times since. It’s the story of a science-minded teenage boy who discovers a previously unknown species of butterfly in a section of the forest slated for destruction. If he reports his findings, the butterfly and its habitat can be saved. Trouble is, he lives in a logging town—and his father is a logger.

California Blue is a perfect example of the best the YA genre has to offer—smart and thoughtful in a way that never talks down to its audience. Despite what popular culture often tells us, helping the environment is not just a matter of circulating a petition. Caring about issues larger than ourselves can be confusing and painful. Sometimes it’s hard to know what, exactly, is “the right thing.”

This book has always had a special resonance with me because it describes a young person’s struggles in hostile surroundings. As a longtime vegetarian animal advocate smack-dab in deer hunting country, I know what that’s all about.

Truly a special book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read California Blue.