nicole's Reviews > Nothing But Trouble After Midnight

Nothing But Trouble After Midnight by Kimberly Blackadar

May 22, 10

bookshelves: fiction, read-in-2010, relationships, young-adult, rape
Read from March 29 to April 02, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I'm not even sure where to begin, this novel resonated with me so deeply.

Nothing but Trouble after Midnight follows the relationship between Chloe and Rob, neighbors and childhood friends who eventually admit deeper feelings for one another. The story starts off sweet, but there will be heartbreak before redemption.

The tentative steps toward an intimate relationship between Chloe and Rob were wonderfully written and realistic. Their sarcastic conversations remind me very much of how my husband and I are with one another, so I immediately felt a connection to them as a couple.

However... Chloe's rape and subsequent retreat from those who love her broke my heart. As a parent, I wanted to rip Austin to shreds, but as a girl, I know all too intimately the fear and pain Chloe was going through. The conversation she has with her mother after the incident with Austin in the woods only made it worse for me; her heart was flayed open for all to see, and I could see she still would need time to heal. That time took her away from Rob, her first (and true) love, and caused a lot of damage. Thankfully, it would seem, the characters are committed to each other enough to work toward a HEA. The last kiss in the tree house was perfection.

Another reviewer stated that Chloe's reaction to the rape was an example of how not to respond to this kind of situation, and while I agree, I also know it's how many respond. I hope that by reading Chloe's reaction, others who have been similarly assaulted will see themselves in her character and seek help.

Nothing but Trouble after Midnight is a sweet and heartbreaking novel well worth your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nothing But Trouble After Midnight.

03/29/2010 page 32