Holly Weiss's Reviews > From Sea to Shining Sea

From Sea to Shining Sea by James Alexander Thom

Aug 02, 2012

bookshelves: american-historical-fiction, favorites
Read in August, 2012

This epic historical fiction novel follows the American (originating in Virginia) Rogers/Clark family from 1773 to 1806. Mary and John Clark had ten children (including William of the William and Clark Expedition). All contributed to different facets of American liberty and exploration. The character and courage Mary and John instilled in their children is amazing.

The first two hundred pages introduce us to the family and its dynamics. Jonathan and George, the two eldest sons, are portrayed next. George is notable as a wilderness adventurer. He captured enemy outposts in the west (at Vincennes largely through bluffing), founded the state of Kentucky and was known as “Long Knife.”

James Alexander Thom incorporates documented American history into each section of his story. We read of bloody battles, military tactics, prison ships, smallpox outbreaks and subsequent use of the vaccine. The last third of the book is a fascinating account of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

The first two hundred pages move a bit slowly. Much violence is depicted because much occurred in our relationships with Native Americans and during the Revolution. If you stick with it you will enjoy a history lesson imbedded within the story of an honorable American family who was instrumental in building our country.

If you haven’t read Follow the River by the same author, you are missing a great book.

Reviewed by Holly Weiss, author of
Crestmont

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Sea to Shining Sea.

message 1: by LemonLinda (new) - added it

LemonLinda I will have to get this one. I read his Follow the River and absolutely loved it.

Holly Weiss LemonLinda wrote: "I will have to get this one. I read his Follow the River and absolutely loved it."
I've read Follow the River 3 times. This is much longer. Amazing how much influence the entire Clark family had in America. Much about William's older brother, George, who founded Kentucky.