Jonathan Simmons's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Mar 29, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.

Quotes Jonathan Liked

Patrick Rothfuss
“Using words to talk of words is like using a pencil to draw a picture of itself, on itself. Impossible. Confusing. Frustrating ... but there are other ways to understanding.”

Patrick Rothfuss
“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.”

Patrick Rothfuss
“I wanted to tell her that she was the first beautiful thing I had seen in three years. That the sight of her yawning to the back of her hand was enought to drive the breath from me. How I sometimes lost the sense of her words in the sweet fluting of her voice. I wanted to say that if she were with me then somehow nothing could ever be wrong for me again.”

Patrick Rothfuss
“I have known her longer, my smile said. True, you have been inside the circle of her arms, tasted her mouth, felt the warmth of her, and that is something I have never had. But there is a part of her that is only for me. You cannot touch it, no matter how hard you might try. And after she has left you I will still be here, making her laugh. My light shining in her. I will still be here long after she has forgotten your name.”

Patrick Rothfuss
“We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.”