Pamela's Reviews > The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender

Mar 29, 10

bookshelves: the-best
Read from March 19 to 29, 2010

I just finished reading this book, and I feel like I've been walloped.

I've always enjoyed Aimee Bender's stories, in the shrewd way she mixes surrealism, cutting observations, and exquisitely lovely turns of phrases. Her stories are light, quick jabs, and I wasn't sure how her writing would fare in a novel. But oh jeez, this book.

Every thought in this novel is so clear and so lovely, as if Bender had written this novel over and over until each phrase reflected its exact meaning. Although the cover emphasizes Rose's relationship to her mother, the central relationship here is really Rose's to her brother, and the ways they choose to sift through ambient emotional pain. I'm being intentionally vague here, and while I nearly accused Bender of doing the same thing about 2/3 of the way through this novel, you finish the book with full understanding.

AUGH, you just have to READ IT. I feel like I've got to take a personal day just to keep thinking about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg So excited.

Heidi You're killing me here (though Amazon loves it when you recommend books.). Another pre-order? It seems June is going to be a great reading month!

Heidi I second everything you wrote in your review! There are sentences in this book that are so perfect I want to copy and tape them to a mirror or something, so I can keep reading them.

Pamela YEAH! Oh man. I will have to track down some of her past stories for you.

Heidi That'd be awesome :)