Shannan's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Mar 29, 2010

Read from August 06 to 09, 2010

I'm sad that I finished this book today. It has been my life for the past few days. I laughed, I cried, I couldn't stop thinking about it even when I had to put it down. You can read many other reviews for plot summaries, but from me, all you will get is my reaction to the book. It inspired thoughts; it opened my eyes. Now you have to remember that I like a simple good read. Clean, not too complicated, relatable characters and this book had it all. I liked that the chapters were divided and told from three separate characters' point of view. I often wondered if I translated this book to my own life, am I guilty of separating myself and all my "whiteness" from other races/religions? I can't answer, I certainly hope I don't, but it is something this book inspired me to think about and I will continue to keep my eyes open. I definately could identify "League-type" ladies in my circle so I am especially mindful of my own circumstance. If anything, I hugged and kissed my children a few extra times than I normally would. Highly, highly recommend. It was worth every second I spent reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.