Caroline's Reviews > Pretties

Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

Dec 20, 09

bookshelves: young-adult, read-in-2009, dystopia, post-apocalyptic
Read in December, 2009

Pretties picks up pretty much from where Uglies left off, just a bit later after Tally has been transformed from an Ugly and into a Pretty. I wasn't at all surprised by this turn of the plot, what with the titles of this trilogy (Westerfeld makes it very obvious what's going to happen to Tally along the way, at least I thought it was screamingly so!), but luckily it doesn't dwell long on the empty-headed society of the Pretties. Tally has teamed up with another Pretty by the name of Zane, and both are striving to find ways to be "bubbly," or otherwise live-on-the-edge and get out of the haze that Pretties normally suffering from.

The action of this book seemed to flow better than that of Uglies, without the long sequence of Tally journeying to find the Smoke. There are some interesting points where she does leave the city and discovers another group of people that are surviving on their own, and I really liked the plot twist that went on with that, but the journey itself isn't terribly long.

I also quite liked Zane, and the romance between the two seemed a little more likely than that of Tally and David in the previous novel. The relationship between Tally and Shay, however, continues to make me want to bash someone over the head. I always get frustrated when authors use the "friend unreasonably frustrated with friend" storyline, and this was no different for me.

Pretties kept me entertained, and I'll be jumping straight into the third and final of this trilogy! Looking forward to seeing how this will all resolve itself.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretties.

12/12/2009 page 1
12/15/2009 page 46
12.43% "I love me some fluffy reading for my breaks during this crazy time of year. Perfect for some light, enjoyable reading."
show 2 hidden updates…