Parker's Reviews > Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends

Love Is the Killer App by Tim Sanders

U_50x66
Mar 29, 10

Read in March, 2010

Tim Sanders was in a band, then joined a few small companies, then a startup called Broadcast.com, which was acquired by Yahoo, where he quickly became successful using his "lovecat" strategy.
Being a lovecat means putting warmth, love, and charity into all your business dealings through knowledge, networks, and compassion.

He recommends reading voraciously, then sharing your knowledge with your "bizmates" like a doctor shares prescriptions. He recommends matchmaking people in your network at every opportunity without expectation of remuneration. And he recommends treating everyone like a human being, with compassion and love.

I think this book is particularly relevant in our economy which sees more jobs outsourced, etc. Following Sander's strategy turns you into a "somebody" instead of a cog in the corporate clock.

Favorite quotations:
"Bob Marley once said he was tortured by his inability to fix everything. Sometimes that's how we feel about our careers. We are tortured by our potential." 54

The "personal university": "This is how he does it: He reads a stimulating article in a busines journal or newspaper, calls the authors out of the blue and invites them to dinner. Usually they accept. The next time he finds himself facing a tough problem, he calls one of these "faculty members" from the university. And more often than not, he finds the solution." 118

"Yahoo! vice chairman Tim Koogle talks about the difference between being active and being passive- or what he calls the story of "ing" vs "ed". If you spend time with people who say "we are talking about that", "we are thinking about that", "we are planning that", be wary. These people aren't good bizpartners. They don't execute. People who say, "We studied it," "we planned it," "we did it," are the winners your should give your time to. 128

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Is the Killer App.