Mohammed's Reviews > The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by John le Carré

Apr 01, 10

bookshelves: espionage-and-other-thrillers
Recommended for: Must read for spy,political thriller fans
Read from March 29 to April 01, 2010

My first John Le Carrè book and i enjoyed every page of it. It was realistic,exciting,gripping.

It managed to pack more plot into it's 212 pages than most longer,padded books in the same genre today.
The best thing about the book was how real the spy world was in the story and how ugly it was just like in the real world and not like most spy books. Alec Leamas was very believable character just like every other character in the book.

The last chapter of the book is probably one of the most memorable and dramatic of the genre

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spy Who Came In From The Cold.

03/29/2010 page 23
10.04% "I see why Le Carrè is so highly rated. Im enjoying the writing and the lead character. Also the real spy world of Cold War era"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randy (new)

Randy I read this a great many years back, along about the same time I was going through Fleming's Bond novels. Two distinctive styles of spy tales.

Mohammed Fleming looked very good in Casino Royale but so dated,so off in the second of the Bond series. Its like someone else wrote that book.

John Le Carrè so far is like a slow paced Frederick Forsyth. Forsyth being my fav of older spy writers. He is both exciting,well researched,alot of realism.

This book i'm liking so far because of the characters,the realism of the story,spy world and it can be intense,gripping despite its slow pace.

message 3: by Randy (new)

Randy This was the first feature George Smiley. Try the others at some time. I haven;t read them all myself. They, as you notice, are more realistic in thier portrayal of the spy trade.

Mohammed Randy wrote: "This was the first feature George Smiley. Try the others at some time. I haven;t read them all myself. They, as you notice, are more realistic in thier portrayal of the spy trade."

George Smiley is a mystery to me, i expected this book to be about him and not Leamas. I have seen only little of him in this book.

First Feature ? I thought he was in the earlier books than this 1963 one. I will read the other books for sure.

message 5: by Randy (new)

Randy I misstated. The Spy Who Came In From The Cold was the first book I read of LeCarre's.

Alex Yeah, I wasn't expecting much from this to be honest but it's a gripping thriller from start to finish. Loved it.

As for the Bond novels, they get good again when you getto From Russia With Love, Dr.No and Goldfinger. There are some weakish ones earlier in the series....

Mohammed Alex wrote: "Yeah, I wasn't expecting much from this to be honest but it's a gripping thriller from start to finish. Loved it.

I didnt expect much since he had a rep for writing mundane spy stories. Couldnt more far from the truth. It was gripping from page 1 to the last.

I look very much forward to reading the other books in the series