Ceinwin's Reviews > The Bell Jar

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Apr 06, 12

bookshelves: 100-livres-à-lire, comptemporain
Read from March 14 to April 01, 2012 — I own a copy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bell Jar.

Quotes Ceinwin Liked

Sylvia Plath
“If you expect nothing from anybody, you’re never disappointed.”

Sylvia Plath
“I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart. I am, I am, I am.”

Sylvia Plath
“If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days.”

Sylvia Plath
“The trouble was, I had been inadequate all along, I simply hadn't thought about it.”

Sylvia Plath
“There is something demoralizing about watching two people get more and more crazy about each other, especially when you are the only extra person in the room. It's like watching Paris from an express caboose heading in the opposite direction--every second the city gets smaller and smaller, only you feel it's really you getting smaller and smaller and lonelier and lonelier, rushing away from all those lights and excitement at about a million miles an hour.”

Sylvia Plath
“I didn't know why I was going to cry, but I knew that if anybody spoke to me or looked at me too closely the tears would fly out of my eyes and the sobs would fly out of the throat and I'd cry for a week.”

03/22/2012 page 140