Joel Simon's Reviews > Paris Was Yesterday, 1925-1939

Paris Was Yesterday, 1925-1939 by Janet Flanner

Dec 14, 07

bookshelves: history, non-fiction
Read in December, 2007

This book is a collection of articles that appeared in the New Yorker, written by an American correspondent living in France. Although the writing is about people and events more than 30 years ago, it is very interesting and entertaining for a number of reasons. First, it gives you a real sense of what Paris was like. Second, there are many items about events and people that are recognizable (such as Josephine Baker, James Joyce, Edith Wharton, Pablo Picasso, Maurice Ravel). Third, the reporting of the events leading up to the outbreak of World War II are fascinating. Fourth, you can really see the author developing as a writer over time. I am very interested to know if any French people have read and commented on this book because I would love to know how a local would perceive the events as written by a foreigner. I have the whole series so I am going to soon be reading the next one (Paris Journal, 1944-1955, which won the National Book Award).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paris Was Yesterday, 1925-1939.