Aphie's Reviews > The Black Moth

Mar 28, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: period-novel
Read from March 28 to April 06, 2010

As all the other reviews on this site can't wait to tell you, The Black Moth was Georgette Heyer's first novel, and it really does show. The character descriptions read like a gifted teenager wrote them (oddly enough) with an emphasis on how beautful the hero, heroine and villain all are, and the !drama! and !action! is fairly heavy-handed.

That said, it's not a bad novle. It reminds me most strongly of of the style in The Reluctant Widow, only instead of light-hearted banter and scrapes courtesy of a younger brother in law there's hysteria and irritation from the sister in law that the hero was supposed to have previously been in love with.

I found myself asking "Why?" over the text more often than not. WHY was the sister in law so sought after by the two brothers when she was so obviously a vapid ninny? WHY did the hero decide to become a highwayman, exactly? WHY did everyone want the bland heroine who didn't seem to do or say a single remarkable thing? WHY was The Black Moth of the title so evil and callous? And WHY was I asking, since he read like a melodrama villain - just missing the moustachios to twirl.

My favourite charcter was the hero's valet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Moth.