Marcus's Reviews > How to Read and Why

How to Read and Why by Harold Bloom

Apr 24, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, self-development
Read from March 26 to April 02, 2010

A lot of why I liked this book is because it gave me a few books to add to my queue. This is my first exposure to Bloom and my impression is that he's sort of a charming character. He's erudite and opinionated without being condescending or abrasive. I found his passion for books and literature contagious and criticism insightful. After reading this, I've started Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49 and I'll probably read Blood Meridian after that. How to Read and Why gave me a new, or renewed, appreciation for memorizing poetry and by 2030 I'll probably have successfully committed Tom o'Bedlam to memory. Bloom also strengthened my resolve to read more Shakespeare and introduced me to Turgenev, a Russian I really look forward to reading.

I was pretty skeptical at first, but after reading it, I'd consider the book a success. It's helpful at understanding why literature is so important and is a great introduction and primer on how to read some of the world's best works.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Read and Why.

03/28/2010 page 97
33.68% "Nerd alert!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J. You might want to try The American Religion by him. The thesis is apt and his erudition is impressive.