Tom Emory Jr.'s Reviews > The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History

The Monuments Men by Robert M. Edsel

Mar 28, 2010

it was ok

BEWARE THE AUDIO -- Stopped before the end of the second of six audio CDs. The reader, Jeremy Davidson, in addition to a failure to correctly pronounce the names of well-known people and places, thinks he's Olivier with his accents. His British accent is irritating but his German accent really put me over the wall.

The audio version is abridged and, even though I was not through the second CD, I could sense the gaps and cuts to the text.

I plan to read the book. It's a good enough story to devote my time and interest, and the author has a good touch with his subject characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monuments Men.

02/08/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Thanks for the heads up...

Suzanne I totally agree...here's my comment on GR:I'm only about 1/3 of the way through this interesting historical novel but, have to say, I can't believe how bad the accents are with this reader. He sounds like Inspector Clouseau when he tries to do French, Colonel Klink when he tries German, and who knows who when he tries his best to capture an English accent! And, his pronunciation of French cities is inconsistent...sometimes correct, sometimes the same city's name will be butchered (I lived there for a year and know how to correctly pronounce them). I usually prefer audio books but, in this case, I recommend the hard-copy version.

Chris There is an unabridged version of the audio; though still read by Davidson. Not myself knowing how to pronounce lots of the names and places, I probably didn't notice the inconsistancy; and I guess I've just learned to roll with bad accents. I managed to stick with him for 14 hours; ended up ok. He's far from the worst reader I've encountered.

message 4: by Tom (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tom Emory Jr. Chris wrote: "There is an unabridged version of the audio; though still read by Davidson. Not myself knowing how to pronounce lots of the names and places, I probably didn't notice the inconsistancy; and I gues..."

You're tough, Chris. I know that 14 hours of that reader would have made me postal. I haven't had many bad experiences with audio books but there have been a few. My worst reaction was throwing a CD disc out the car window and then, of course, having to go back to the side of the road to get it. I just finished a book read by the author and he mispronounced some words. Thanks for the heads up and comment.

Chris Tom wrote: I haven't had many bad experiences with audio books but there have been a few. My worst reaction was throwing a CD disc out the car window and then, of course, having to go back to the side of the road to get it.

I hate when there are multiple versions of a book with different readers; choose wisely, there's a reason there's another version. Then again, you know if you get the a one you can dig up an alternative. Then again, they're all personal preference, I guess. Last bad one I recall was John Lee (GRRM - A Feast for Crows), the iPod almost followed your CD out the car window. Good thing there was an alternate available.
I also have a hard time with readers from the 'old days' of books on tape, many older titles that haven't been redone have lifeless monotone readers.

message 6: by Tom (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tom Emory Jr. We should start a site for commenting strictly on audio books. www.bitchingsounds.com is available. HaHa.

Suzanne Tom....great idea!

Traci Yes. I just finished the unabridged version (took me MONTHS) and he is just dreadful.

Elizabeth I listen to an unabridged version read by Bret Witter and it was wonderful! I enjoyed every second.

message 10: by Tom (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tom Emory Jr. Elizabeth wrote: "I listen to an unabridged version read by Bret Witter and it was wonderful! I enjoyed every second."

Thank you, Elizabeth. I appreciate your comment and follow up.