Cara's Reviews > The Thirteenth Princess

Aug 06, 10

bookshelves: 2010, fantasy, fairy-tales, siblings
Recommended to Cara by: Valerie
Read in August, 2010

I have come to realize that I will always read fairy tales. It's what I always reach for when I need a comfort read. They are all almost easy to read and sweep you away with their magic. That's why these stories stand the test of time.

People know the story of the twelve dancing princesses, but do they really know the whole story? The answer would be no. Unbeknownest to most people there was a thirteenth princess named Zita. Zita is named after the saint of servants, and unlike her other sisters doesn't get to gleam in the lifestyle of a princess. Though Zita being a servant has made her feel unloved by her father, she does befriend the cute stable boy Breckin, and meets his older brother Mileck who will play in important role in the story. She comes to learn that she is a princess and as she grows closer to her sisters she finds out that there is something ailing her sisters. Finding out the gravity of the situation she sets out with Breckin, Mileck and the help of a benevolent witch to stop whoever is behind the curse upon her sisters.

I was a little worried about the length. Most of the time I have gripes about how the novel is not long enough and doesn't give a chance for the characters to develop. Though the development could have been a little better I was mostly satisfied with it, and ended up caring about the characters. It stays true to fairy tale form and ends happily:) If you loved this one read Princess of the Midnight Ball to get another great perspective on this fariy tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thirteenth Princess.