Gwen's Reviews > House Rules

House Rules by Jodi Picoult

Nov 04, 10

bookshelves: book-discussion-group, mystery, disability, autism-spectrum
Read from August 26 to September 16, 2010

Disappointing, predictable, overly repetitive and just not credible! Was this book just dashed off with cursory research and without as much thought as some of her earlier novels? I was expecting much more from Jodi Picoult, especially after re-reading her "Plain Truth," also with courtroom scenes. This book is nowhere near the quality of that book. Nor does it touch the brilliance shown in "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" also about a boy with Asperger's Syndrome, which is one of my favorites.
My book discussion group mostly agreed, though some thought "House Rules" was entertaining, most said let's not read any more Picoult. Not for a long time anyway...and then only her best work, which excludes most of her recent novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House Rules.

09/09/2010 page 143
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Hmm. Wondering if I should take this one off my shelves. But I've read glowing reviews too.

Gwen It wasn't truly horrible, but just nowhere near as good as Picoults Plain Truth. Maybe it should get 2 1/2 stars, but I was expecting more.
Some felt that the author tried to put too many of the possible symptom of AS into this young man rather than just displaying some of these traits as is usually seen.
Everyone has such different taste though. For entertainment value on a long flight, it might be fine.

message 3: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan I have mixed feelings about her books. I loved My Sister's Keeper but her twist endings sometimes irritate me.

Linda surprised you gave it 3 stars, your review sounds more 2 star to me. LOL

Gwen Linda, I think at one point, I did give this novel two stars here, even though it seemed closer to two and a half stars. Months later, comparing this to some of the other two star books I rated, this was a tad better, and I inched up the rating.
There are a lot of books on the cusp, so the half star system would be more accurate. Thanks.

Linda agree, we need half stars

message 7: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan I've wanted half stars forever, but we'd better accept facts. We're not going to ever get them.

Gwen To respond to Lisa's comment above: I also loved "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult. The author pulled me inside the main character from the start. One could actually empathize with all the characters in this book from my point of view. That novel seemed well researched and carefully written. I did not feel this connection with any of the characters in House Rules. The problem may be that this author later turned out too many books in a short time in recent years, trying to meet near impossible deadlines. An author has a chance to leave a better legacy with the creation of fewer well thought out novels rather than going for quantity of publications. This is an age old dilemma.